Friday, August 24, 2018

How I bricked my Phone and then recovered it[Pt.1]

One fine day, nah actually it was night time, I decided to root my phone just out of curiosity. What motivated me was persistent ads and annoying notification of system apps. It was my new phone less than an year and still in warranty. I knew Xiaomi's warranty doesn't void after rooting. I did my research and found that the only problem that could arise if I bricked my phone. I was just too excited to notice this and rushed to YouTube videos. "Smartphone 2torials"

bring the top result for my phone model was the first video. It made it seem pretty too easy and simple. The video didn't guide me through the unlocking boatloader but everything else. It took me an hour to go through 'How to unlock Bootloader'. Another problem knocked my door but everytime, it hid when I tried to track who, pardon what.

The unlocking was simple: Bound device; wait for 3-4 days(some said upto 7days); install Mi Unlocker in computer; sign in and start unlocking connecting your phone. I did the same and foolishly waited for 3 days. I was restless and there was no other option. Yep, foolishly, yes it was stupid of me, nothing happened. I had to bound with the same account with which I logged in my phone and PC and then unlock bootloader. I had two accounts signed in![facepalm]

I logged out of all accounts, logged in once again using phone no, double checked my account ID, logged as *same account* in PC and started the procedure. It was now that I received the notification of 72hrs.[ Phew!] This time I got jittery, set up my countdown and checked every other minute. Impatient to next Level.
It was time again, I had everything handy, the YouTube's tutorial, the files that it offered me and battery charged. There was a slight manipulation, instead of the stock ROM that video showed me I wanted to try Android PIE, it was trending, who can refrain from trends? I had Oreo ROM as well incase former was unstable, soon it was time and I was hella excited, I swoop connected my phone and started unlocking 50%-60%-70%-80%-90%-99%... DONE!!!
Woah! Finally I booted my phone and it showed unlocked, hurriedly I packed my packages like TWRP from tutorial and the Android Pie ROM from XDA site. Connected and transferred the files, Footbooted using power keys into recovery mode. Watched the tutorial again this time briskly, I wiped the data as the video said and paused the video for full attention and flashed my Android Pie. It took a lot of time about 5-7mins only to show the status "FAILED". Alas! As a result the phone went into bootloop and I went into state of shock! 

No comments:

Post a Comment